PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A RAF C17 is going to Tunisia.Slow response from UK?
Old 29th Jun 2015, 18:53
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good answers.

Some good answers and thoughts. In retrospect getting a fully fitted medical aid C17 in within 72 hours is really very good. And seems to tie in with what the doctors in Tunisia seem to want, i.e. stabilize people before medvac out. So it probably could have gone a lot earlier if required. They just timed it so thus.
I am just about old enough to remember the evacuation of Cyprus with the RAF aircraft Lou mentioned and a pretty good show it was. Could we do a similar thing somewhere now? Should we ever plan to?
You can get a ticket out of Tunisia to any London airport tomorrow or during the week on a civvy airline for £92 according to lastminute .com so the crisis of movement is passing or probably now passed. Reps and holiday companies seemed to rally well under the circumstances in the end.
Seems horrendous, all of this. The older I get now the less I now want to travel abroad. A mate of mine has a simple template that if the ground outside his abroad hotel will contain more sand than soil then he will never travel there because it means the potential is there for madness. Gradually the lovely Mediterranean is being made less and less attractive.