PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter is here and so are the dangers of icing to unprotected aircraft
Old 29th Jun 2015, 04:21
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
War story

There I was...

Some time back around the turn of the Century I was in a Chieftain at about 7000' in VMC and well above the FZL. There was a layer of cloud maybe 1500-2000' above.

By this time I was a veteran of over 1500 hours and maybe 6-700 hours on type. We had flown above the FZL over the Blue Mtns on Heron tours and bank runs as a matter of course, picking up frost and losing 15-20 knots. All in a day's work, right?

On this occasion I think the OAT might have been about MS05 and I was in those conditions for about 20-30 minutes. Icing was not really on my mind, as we were VMC and looked like we would maintain that all the way to the destination. Life was good.

I remained cruising - fat dumb and happy - until it rained on me.

Big, fat super-cooled droplets falling on a cold-soaked airframe and turning into thick, hairy frosty ice instantly.

It didn't have de-ice boots but it did have black stripes along the leading edge....

The aeroplane decellerated so rapidly I fell forward against the harness, and I had to apply climb power to maintain speed while descending below the FZL.

It was a bit of a "there but for the grace of Lycoming..." moment.