PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gustave Whitehead: First in Flight breaking news
Old 19th Jun 2015, 13:14
Haraka

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Indeed "Volume", by strict definition a glider is not an aeroplane ( neither is a helicopter)- but it is an aircraft nevertheless.

The New Oxford Dictionary definition of an aeroplane is given as:
"a powered flying machine with fixed wings and a weight greater than the air it displaces"
ORIGIN: late 19th cent from French aéroplane from aéro 'air' +Greek planos 'wandering".

By this definition, which is one I was taught, then such a device was not invented by the Wrights.

What the Wrights did certainly achieve was to demonstrate three axis control in manned flight and arguably should be accordingly so honoured for their contribution toward the ever ongoing evolution of the aeroplane.

The same dictionary terms airplane as " North American term for AEROPLANE"

In my copy of the " Jane's Aerospace Dictionary" the following is stated:

aeroplane(US=airplane) BS 185,1940; " a flying machine with plane(s) fixed in flight"
Modern definition might be "mechanically propelled aerodyne sustained by wings which, in any one flight regime, remain fixed".
Bill Gunston's definition - not mine.

Note that such generally accepted definitions of an aeroplane, or "airplane", do not of course depend upon such a craft of necessity having an on-board pilot or obeying three axis control. Thus Stringfellow in 1848 had achieved powered flight with his aeroplane, as had many others around the world before 1900.

P.S. As a cross-check, I looked up Mirriam-Webster and other American based dictionary definitions of airplane on line. They all pretty much state verbatim the references quoted above.

Last edited by Haraka; 19th Jun 2015 at 16:52.