PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky spinoff?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2015, 22:15
riff_raff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sikorsky seems to be in good shape financially for the near future, so they should do nicely on their own. But since much of their revenues are from military sales, they would also make a nice acquisition for a large defense business. Of the US companies mentioned LM might be a possibility. I doubt Textron(Bell) or Boeing would work out, primarily because the US DoD has been making a big push to expand the domestic rotorcraft industrial base, and not consolidate it. Maybe L-3 or Raytheon might have an interest.

I still don't accept UTC's (claimed) reason for selling off a fairly profitable division like Sikorsky. Less than a decade ago their Pratt & Whitney division was in far worse shape. P&W had few new orders for commercial engines and much of their revenues came from selling replacement parts. Then P&W decided to take a bold leap and bring their geared turbofan engine to market. Now P&W has orders for over 6,000 GTF engines. Sikorsky appeared to be doing the same thing with their internally funded X2 & S-97 programs. And if the Army continues with FVL, I think Sikorsky/LM have the best odds of winning the first contract.