PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Command - how much do you really want one??
Old 19th Jun 2003, 21:26
Capn Laptop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2XL.

If you are hearing things and believing them, it is because you are not there to experience them first hand and see the real story..

Commands are based on a number of factors, including length of service.

It is also based upon performance. Do a good job and it is your turn - you'll get the phone call. Do a lousy job and you won't.

And when I say do a good job I mean perform well on checks - both in the box and in the aeroplane.

It isn't a matter of who sucked up to whom, and a number of people have seemingly "jumped the que" however if you looked objectively at the people at the people who were "bypassed" you would see that there is a reason.

in some cases it is because they were rung up and asked if they were interested and they said not yet - a sign of significant maturity in my opinion, and that is a response that goes a long way - it certainly doesn't hold you back...

in other cases the overall experience on the jet may be such that another 6 months is needed to round out the picture.

And in others, if they were honest with themselves and others their check reports would tell the story. you cannot responsibly promote people who underperform. it isn't in the best interests of the individual, as to try and fail is worse than not having had a go. It is not in the interests of the airline because to have a person who is demonstrably a standards problem is a time bomb just waiting to go off.

And finally it isn't in the interests of the travelling public. Would YOU put your kids on an aeroplane under the command of a bloke who is marginal?

It is interesting, people whine about Virgin's lack of experience, and in the same breath whine about not promoting in straight line seniority....