PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Employment Predicament
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2015, 08:39
Flying Bear

Received 44 Likes on 5 Posts
Ruddegar,

I'm not so presumptuous as to tell a prospective pilot what they ought to do regarding hanging around a location waiting for my Company, or any other... It's your life and no CP should interfere with that BEFORE taking you on - after that, though - he / she might own a little bit more of you and be more direct with where you will / won't be!!

All I insist on is meeting all prospective pilots - I won't consider them before that. Because my Company will not pay for people to travel to see us for specific interviews, I restrict myself to the pool of pilots that come through initially on an unsolicited basis. Experience has taught me there are enough suitable candidates amongst them to not have to worry about applicants from afar.

Once I've met someone and think they will be okay in our team, I don't really mind where they are after that - provided they can get back to us for a start within a reasonable timeframe (ie 2-4 weeks) from when they get the nod. Having said that, often the rapport that will put me in that position is not established on the first visit for a ten minute chat - which may make it worthwhile being around for a while to take a couple of bites at the cherry.