PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Employment Predicament
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2015, 02:41
Flying Bear

Received 44 Likes on 5 Posts
Happy to add a little to this...

Firstly, I agree with all the others have identified above. During my initial read of the OP, I thought that this would have been the lament of one who had actually gone north looking for work and, having come up empty handed, asked the general audience about how to go about improving chances for the next attempt...

Please be aware that many of your peer group (ie competition) are already hanging around Darwin, Broome, etc waiting for an opportunity. Industry is funny at the moment, there is a definite feeling of movement, but nothing definitive yet. Certainly, the "start of Dry" recruitment drive in Darwin this year has been more subdued than previous, but there is optimism that the larger operators (ie Virgin, et al) will recruit and therefore create space in GA. I think you need to be there, establish a network with the pilots in location, develop a rapport with the Chief Pilots and convince them (without appearing desperate) that you are the "hard worker, etc" that you purport to be... From what I've seen thus far in this thread, but don't take it harshly because I don't mean it in a nasty way, I would more likely categorise you as a talker with an over-inflated sense of entitlement to a spot in the northern Australian charter industry (but I do appreciate and empathise with the dilemma of leaving a current flying job to chase a possibility!).

Certainly the e-mail you likely sent me (today?) has already been dragged-and-dropped into the "solid hours but pending a visit" directory on my MS Outlook. I extract these once I have a face to a name and that gets things started. You need to follow such e-mails up with a visit and although I acknowledge the sacrifices made by pilots starting their careers and respect them for it, you need to be aware that while ever there are boys and girls willing to chase the work hard - you will need to match them for commitment, as job hunting is (make no mistake) a competition amongst job-hunters. Don't approach it as a "beat the Chief Pilot" thing - most of us detest being brought into a battle of wits with job seekers. Strongest course of action - get to a location with opportunity, make a reason to stay there (get a job doing something else to keep the dollars coming in) and settle in. Genuinely good prospects will always get a go, it's just the timing that's variable. Enjoy the adventure as best you can.

Bring "happy to jump into a single" or hiring a cheap twin, is not what I'm after - makes it clear to me that you will only do this as a stepping stone and not fully respect the role that such a pilot has in my operation. That does not sound humble professionally, and you need to appear thus. I respect the single engine pilots for what they do as much as the twin pilots, they are both professionals with role specific skill sets (when was the last time a purely M/E pilot needed to practice a glide approach into a postage stamp sized paddock?). I look for a good temperament in people with a realistic outlook (have an awareness of what is involved in being a charter pilot and living / working remotely, as well as expectations given the current industry climate), strong work ethic, commitment to the profession and dignity (that means, don't offer to work for free and don't criticise other pilots, operators, etc).

Last tip - try not to discuss with a CP what you expect regarding progression in their Company at the drop in visit - concentrate on just laying the ground work to getting an opportunity to be a part of the team. That same CP will WANT to progress you if you are actually as good as you think / say you are when / if you start. Remember, it's in their best interest to have the most competent pilots flying the "big stuff"...

Don't talk about what you are and what you can / will do - best you just take steps to show us! Knocking on doors, in person, is a really good start.

All the best.