PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wizz Air MPL - CTC
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2015, 08:36
schienenschreck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the maths... Should be easy for you aspiring pilots:

128K loan, and 4% interest rate (I think this is reasonable, maybe even a bit on the lower side considering eastern europe). If you are lucky then maybe the interest rate is fixed for the entire period, since a time will come in the not too distant future where interest rates will rise... you dont want to be on the sucker end of a 100K plus loan with your interest rate doubling, believe me.

Back on topic:

128K loan, 4% interest annualy:

Initial deposit:€0.00
Loan payments:€146,967.01
Balloon payment at end:€0.00
Total payable:€146,967.01
84 monthly payments of:€1,749.61
Total interest:€18,967.01

This means, that if you want to repay your loan in 7 years you would need to pay €1,749.61 each and every month. The interest you will pay over 7 years equals €18,967.01.

If you want to pay back your loan in 6 years, then make this €2,002.58, but then you pay less interest obviously, "only" €16,186.01.

These are actually only simplified numbers, because you dont take the loan in one lump sum, but you also wont make any repayments until you start working (ca 2 years), all the while interest is accruing.

Lets take the salary side into consideration:

FO
€20k base, 36k total
SFO (from 1500h)
25k base, 45 total
CPT (from 3500h)
40k base, 81 total

You fly 850h a year. Meaning for the first year you will earn 36K total and you will have to pay 20 995 Euros as a loan repayment. The rest 16K is what remains for taxes and to live. I dont think this is doable. If your net is 30% less than your gross pay, then there will only remain around 5000 Euros for the whole first and most of the second year after repayment of the loan.

When you become SFO then 10 000 will remain ( your 3rd year most likely, it takes 22 months to reach 1500 hrs). From then on you will reach captain in a total of 48 months. By this time you have paid off about half of your loan, and if you earn 81K gross, with the usual 21K loan payment a year, then there remains 36K for living. At this point its quite easily done.

After 84 months you are officially student loan free, and can enjoy all the benefits of flying on a relatively high salary.

Of course the bank might understand this model, so they might offer you something along the lines of first 2 years is interest only: This means you would pay around 500 Euros a month, and the real repayment will start only when you are SFO. Thats kinda doable, but then you have to expect around 10 years until you repay your loan, which is in my opinion a long time. Especially if you are young and want kids etc.

Living the dream on 10,000 Euros a year. Just fyi, you can easily earn this much as an IT support guy on a helpdesk, without any qualifications. The downside is you can't fly the 'Bus.

Good luck!