PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair queues
Thread: Ryanair queues
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2015, 15:53
oscarisapc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair queues

Disappointed to see Neanderthal attitudes from the Ryanair cockpit Ryanair pilot calls pax "morons" about passengers queuing to get on the plane. Well, apart from the fact that a line seems the most sensible way for 300 persons to file up the aircraft steps, the real problem now is Ryanair’s “passenger friendly” attitude to carry on baggage which means that late boarding passengers may not be able to find space for their cabin bags, because earlier boarding passengers have taken up all the locker space. Ryanair haven’t eliminated the need to queue at all. On my last four flights with Ryanair, nobody checked the maximum baggage limits with the result that some pax carried on two or more big bags some of which were so oversize that they could only fit in the lockers sideways, thus taking up two spaces. I have no objection to cabin bag rules as long as everyone obeys them , but the current situation is anarchic. In fact, paying for Priority Boarding with oversize bags you can stuff in the lockers first is much cheaper than paying to put those bags in the hold.
And does anybody seriously think those passengers would want to leave those bags behind if there was an emergency evacuation?
I know IATA are coming in for some stick about suggesting a standard size cabin bag but there is some merit in that idea. It should also be coupled with a change in the safety briefing, so there is less about putting on your lifejacket after a ditching (incredibly rare) and more about how to get out of the plane leaving luggage behind, in the event of emergency evacuation (much more common). Or do some passengers have to die, trapped behind others retrieving their suitcases, before action is taken?