PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question regarding Check outs
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2015, 20:33
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
The OP refers to a "check out". Perhaps this is "training" in a new type, with differences, in which the instructor has a role as an instructor, and should fly as such.

Or, it might be a few circuits in a an aircraft, within that pilots skills and privileges, just to assure competence for any number of reasons. On the occasions that I have flown a few circuits, or to the next airport for lunch, I'm happy to say as little as I can, unless asked, or have a safety concern. To me, the knowledge that the candidate is acting as PIC for that flight, will reinforce to them their role as PIC. I don't need to be PIC for that flight, they can do it, they should do it. If they do not meet the expectation, we'll talk as required, and if I have to fly (to assure safety), I will. Otherwise, I am a safety system, not an aircraft commander for that flight.
What you are describing is, from the point of view of the other pilot, like IMC in a simulator. You do all the same things as if you were flying a real airplane in real cloud, but at the back of your mind you always know if things go bad you can hit the pause button.

Similarly the guy you are flying a few circuits, or to the next airport, knows that you are not going to let something bad happen. This is IMO is pretend PIC, it is not the kind of PIC you get when you are alone and there is no one to bail you out. So why not call it what it is, instruction ?

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever; 7th Jun 2015 at 20:51.