PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was the Tornado GR1's flight handling like?
Old 1st Jun 2015, 20:41
Obs cop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

I have searched for academic papers, but sadly there aren't any specific to the Tornado and I'm not sure I have the aptitude to extract pertinent data from a dissimilar model in a use-able form. I suspect that I lack the higher level mathematical skills to extrapolate such information into a basic 32 bit home PC model.

I now have a copy of a performance manual, which at least should allow me to try to "match" the numbers.

I'm already concious that the disparity between controls in the aircraft and those of a joystick attached to a home PC invariably means that stick force/deflection is impossible to transfer. Until home computers can accurately reproduce such elements as stick forces, tactile feedback, control displacement and so on, then ultimately home PC's live in the world of hobbies and entertainment and no more.

I certainly don't want to take up anyone's time unduly but it would help me out to know such things as any areas of the flight envelope which demonstrated reduced control effectiveness or conversely excessive sensitivity. Any areas which could be problematic such as use of rudder/ailerons at high AoA. In essence, these 'traits' can be minimally modelled using scalars within the sim. I accept that they will not be 'quantitatively' reproduce-able to a high level of fidelity.

Sadly, losing my military flying (not fast jet) to illness and my civilian class 1 to cancer, I'm in the same world as the vast majority of aviation lovers out there; sat at a desk at home with an average PC trying to enjoy any aspects of aviation that I can.

Ultimately, I greatly appreciate any overviews or opinions about the performance or handling which people are willing to offer in helping me so that at least I don't end up with a pointy looking two seat 737.

Huge thanks,
Rich