PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Officer IQ Requirements
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2003, 09:11
Wodka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ummm ... interesting.

I regularly fly (as CC) with people from a whole range of backgrounds ... lawyers, PhD’s, Nail technicians, etc etc.

To be honest the background for flight crew is irrelevant. The training given by the airlines covers for the (expected) emergencies.

However.... As a graduate myself I think that whilst my degree offers as much use as a chocolate fireguard whilst in-flight ... the LIFE experiences I gained as a student are invaluable. The degree was fun but it’s more what happens to you as a person during those years that the airlines are keen to capitalise on.

Now the debate as to what airlines look for in a candidate has been done to death, but I am sure that life experience and maturity is now valued much more than it was in the past. The simply fact is that every airline is different and trying to match what you think x airline wants is wasted energy.

My advice ... do what you are happy doing. Enjoy and achieve in your arena. If your an 'A' Level guy with a skill in motorbikes .. great! .... If your a PHD with an interest in human dissection ... great!
At the end of the day, the licence is the licence ... a standard everyone must meet. The additional stuff that shapes you as a person is just that ... it shapes YOU!

If you think everyone that flies are robotic clones then think again. Pilots who have NOTHING in common frequently end up flying 4 sectors together saying nothing but the required ops. blurb!