PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was the Tornado GR1's flight handling like?
Old 30th May 2015, 14:13
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Obs cop,

I could write a qualitative overview of Tornado flying qualities for you but I don't think that you could establish a simulation model from it. However, it could be useful for assessing an existing model for fidelity. Before I put a lot of time into it, let me know if it will be useful. However, one issue that you will inevitably face is that of the force/displacement gradients of the stick and its oscillatory characteristics. The stick displacements are large with relatively high forces at full back stick, and if a rapid input is made and the stick then released the oscillations take a while to damp out both laterally and longitudinally. Whilst this characteristic per se is not obvious it does make putting the stick rapidly and precisely back to the trim position difficult which can exacerbate PIO tendencies. These characteristics do affect a pilot's qualitative opinion of high gain closed loop flying qualities such as during formation flying or air-to-air refuelling quite significantly and I doubt that you could simulate those in a home computer based simulator. Good luck!

L