PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - non-Pilot DFO and non-Pilot GMA
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2015, 00:29
Steve the Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anotherday
Sadly if we laid off all the S/Os we've hired over the past 5 years I'd say only about 10% would continue in aviation via Air Force/instructing/freight or something else GA. Most I've chatted with would go do a degree at Uni and be a doctor/accountant/lawyer etc. There really isn't any passion for this job
That's an alarming statistic if it's representative of the SO body as a whole. However, I wonder why the 90% of those you spoke to about their choice of profession are waiting to be laid off before following their new career path? If they feel so disenchanted with aviation surely they have the ability (and arguably the responsibility) to head off to pursue their dream career of their own volition rather than waiting to be made redundant?

In all honesty, if any of them were to leave I think they'd find that medicine/accountancy/law aren't that glamorous either and you work like a slave until you become very senior or have bought into a partnership. I doubt they'd have much passion for their new job either.

STP