PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW2 Bomber pilots
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2015, 17:34
Mr Mac

Received 168 Likes on 103 Posts
Binbrook / Lightning 20
Had a word with my father who confirmed their Flight Engineer Lance Butler soon to be of RCAF 428 SQ Middleton St George attended a course on the Link trainer in the summer of 1943 at St Athan prior to them going on Operations in the September of that year. He was shot down with my father 3-4th Oct 1943 in Halifax S -SUGAR after bombing Kassel and bailed out near Kloster Haina in Western Germany becoming a prisoner of war though not in the same camps.
My Father crashed with the A/C due to turret jamming from shrapnel and two crew stayed with the A/C to try and free him (Sgt Ken McArthur Pilot and F/O Tom Elliot Bomb Aimer) both died on impact. Luck being with my father who's turret and tail section broke free on impact, and he survived with a damaged spine and temporary blindness. He always remembers these brave men who had the chance to bale out but elected to try and land their A/C to save the young (18 yr old Rear Gunner). I have taken my father back in to their graves in 2003 on the 3rd Oct (purely by coincidence I must say) and to the crash site, and hospitals where he was treated so well. We even met an Old man who had been a young boy when the A/C crashed who had hold of my fathers hand to stop him walking back into the burning A/C . Quite an emotional trip for all concerned.

Unfortunately I have never been able to get hold of anybody in Canada who is related to these brave men to express both his, and my families profound gratitude and admiration for these very brave men.

Regards
Mr Mac (Jnr !)