PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cambridge "Airspace"
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2015, 09:02
Jim59

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the manual (of Air Traffic Services Part 1) required reading/study for ppl's?

Not normally, but if one is going to publicly claim that ATCO's are not doing their job correctly by exceeding their powers, as done early in this thread, then it is helpful to know their job description as laid down in their ‘bible’ MATS Part 1. MATS Part 2 also exists but is not generally available since it is each unit's local procedures as approved by the CAA.

For what it's worth, I frequently fly a glider in the vicinity of Cambridge Airport under a basic service and feel that I get an excellent service. Sometimes I get a clearance I cannot comply with (like maintain 4,000’ – but to be fair that’s more likely to come from Lakenheath), I explain why I cannot comply and come to a more appropriate agreement. It’s not a problem.
Especially when they have instrument traffic in the hold, or on approach outside controlled airspace, working in the way laid down in MATS Part 1 creates a safer environment for all. Most of the instrument traffic seems to be training in light aircraft with relatively few commercial movements.

Willing acceptance of and compliance with their clearances OCAS is to our benefit since they are LESS likely to feel they have to go for Class D which means that we can be excluded.