PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cambridge "Airspace"
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2015, 08:30
Heliplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cambridge "Airspace"

A few times over the past several weeks my routing has taken me directly through the Cambridge overhead - in the Class G airspace above the Cambridge ATZ but below the base of the overlying Class A airspace.

I'm aware of the instrument holding procedure above the airfield and always call Cambridge approach for at least a basic service (and to let them know I will be transiting overhead).

Recently, Cambridge approach has taken to "clearing" me for the transit, implying that they have some formal authority over an overflight outside the bounds of their ATZ. Yesterday, having made contact with Cambridge asap after leaving the Duxford frequency, the controller sounded annoyed that I had not called with regard to my (above ATZ) overflight much sooner.

Clearly I want to know if someone is holding in an area I am transiting and, appreciating that such person may be conducting instrument training, etc, I am happy to climb, deviate, etc in order not to impact their activities (and have often done so). However, it does feel like Cambridge ATC has been slightly overstepping their authority - especially since one can, quite legally, albeit foolishly, fly through that airspace all day without talking to anyone.

Hopefully this is not the start of Cambridge making a play for an necessary Class D airspace grab like Southend...