PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2015, 16:46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Hurry!

If Scotland dump the taxes the lowland airports could become hub and spoke gateways for long haul......fare savings potential is enormous....job creation and economic growth significant. Certainly give Paris [4 runways and another 3 at Orly], Amsterdam [5 runways], Brussels [3 runways] some competition.
Common sense dictates that Heathrow is a tactical non-starter.....do you really put all your capacity in one airport.....one incident could close down the majority of UK airport capacity in an instant. Logic dictates that Gatwick is the choice by a long long way.
Unfortunately politics are involved......if you study the Heathrow situation in detail it is evident that the airport runs 10-15% below capacity as a result of operating restrictions [not the "curfew"....the dedicated runway ].
So no immediate hurry......a simple signature on a piece of paper would increase Heathrow capacity overnight.
Is there another reason for capping Heathrow capacity? I really don't know, but if I were writing a novel I might consider that the high value of Heathrow slots would be eroded if capacity increased, and there would be extra competition if extra slots became available.