PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was the Tornado GR1's flight handling like?
Old 23rd May 2015, 09:42
Obs cop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was the Tornado GR1's flight handling like?

Hi all,

I'm an ex-Royal Navy baby observer who medically retired during OFT due to airsickness before gaining a CPL/IR a few years ago. Sadly 6 months after qualifying, I was diagnosed with an incurable brain tumour, so I moved into the world of flight simulation.

I'm currently doing some research for a flight simulator project and whilst the numerical performance figures for the GR1 Tornado can be obtained from sites such as this Flight Manual Pilot Notes & Aircraft Handbook on CD and Internet Download (Italian manuals), it's much harder to find any information about what it's handling was like from a pilot's perspective.

I would suggest it is impossible to derive handling character from a collection of tables.

As such, would be hugely grateful for any Tornado pilots/ex-pilots who would be willing to describe what it was like to fly them and in particular the control responses, control harmony and potential gotcha's.

Over the years, magazines have had accounts from pilots of Jaguars or Harriers about aircraft handling when taking journalists airborne, but sadly I can't find anything about the Tonka

Thanks for your consideration and help,
Rich