PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Direct operating costs of a C172 or PA28?
Old 22nd May 2015, 13:48
gassed budgie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Regardless of how many hours I fly the 172 a year, the first one always costs me around $5.5k's (insurance/maintenance and incidentals). After that its only $60 an hour or thereabouts for the fuel. I reckon for a nice clean, low time, well maintained 172N, that's a pretty good deal.

Someone above suggested that $45k for an engine change over was a bit outlandish. I got no change out $43k, so that figure was actually pretty close to the mark. Mind you, it just wasn't an engine overhaul. Everything ahead of the firewall was renewed. Mounts, baffles, exhaust system, coolers, prop etc..

The poor old 172 usually cops a bucketful for being uninteresting, uninspiring, a poor performer (ok, fair cop - when it's 42°C it won't pull the skin off a rice custard), dull to fly and the epitome of the Wichita spam can.
From my point of view as an owner/operator, it is THE classic GA machine. Easy to fly, easy to maintain and easy on the pocket.

Last edited by gassed budgie; 22nd May 2015 at 14:16. Reason: Can't spell for shit.