PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - M1 Visa or no Visa and SEVIS approved schools in the USA
Old 17th May 2015, 18:29
Parabungle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Schools, in the USA, have M1 visa, ... can change to part 61 through ESTA ?

Hi, I have had a number of issues to do with quality at the school I am at here in California.

I am about to leave and transfer out my i20. Friends here in SD who are pilots and members of a local flying club have suggested I use the ESTA program to reenter the USA and study part time with them as a part of my vacation. The planes are a lot cheaper than the schools, the instructors friends.

ESTA is a visa waiver program. I have applied and been accepted. I am studying towards my PPL with an goal of SEL IR commercial. I would finish my PPL part 61, leave the country and then return to do IR and SEL commercial under a SEVIS school.

I am very torn as to whether to go to another part 141 school to finish my PPL, whereby the migration legalities are very clear, (but frankly I feel burned by recent part 141 experience), or whether to go the part 61 route part time. (part time is less than 18 hours per week). I understand that I have to pay for a TSA change of venue. I will be training on the same craft that I named in my initial TSA application.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who has tried this, or looked into it and decided against.