PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL conversion to NZ CAA ATPL
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2015, 18:54
get_involved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you are looking at a command position straight away, a different approach may be to convert your CPL instead. It is the same story as an ATPL, but you will only have to do a CPL flight test, CPL law (Studied in the same fashion as ATPL), most likely an IFR check ride as well (Not 100% on this, but I don't think it transfers over with the licence)

Hmm, so let's get this straight. It's NOT required to show up for an airline job in New Zealand with the NZ ATPL in hand. Rather, it's only required if you are looking for a Command Position .. (in US lingo: street captain?)

https://careers.airnz.co.nz/explore-...coming-a-pilot

According to this pilot guide an individual with the CPL and ATPL written exams passed qualifies for a position in the Jet Fleet at Air New Zealand. It's only when they apply/can hold Captain that they will be trained for and given the ATPL flight test by the company.

So, in theory I can come down to NZ and do a CPL conversion, sit for the written tests for the NZ ATPL and that will satisfy my certification for requirements to apply for First Officer position in the Jet fleet.

Also, can anyone elaborate on what type of simulator(s) are used to conduct the ATPL validation in New Zealand and would a type rating earned in the United States in that aircraft satisfy my requirements to have said Type rating in New Zealand for the test?

Thanks for all this information guys.