PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth Crash
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2015, 12:30
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However, our 'experts' here took spinning out of the PPL syllabus. Why? Because too many of those 'expert' instructors were allegedly killing students demonstrating spinning characteristics.

Where has that put us? The low time ppl's that may spin in and have no practical idea of how to recover. Progress eh.
JetBlu, We agree completely about this. I extend that fine thinking to aerobatics. The fact that a skill is not in a [PPL] syllabus, does not mean that the enthusiastic candidate is absolved of seeking out training beyond the basic PPL for those skills. No fair saying: "I took my PPL, and now I fly whatever I want in the plane, 'cause I got the license".

Honestly, aside from looping and rolling (the commonly considered aerobatic maneuvers), spinning fits into the Canadian definition for aerobatics. Therefore, If I want to intentionally spin a passenger, I would have to meet the instruction/experience, and recency requirements of the quoted aerobatic regulations, to be compliant. I do.

To me, a pilot who can demonstrate that what they did as closely as possible conforms to good airmanship, regard for their passenger's safety, and adherence to regulation, is really entitled to my brethren support. That demonstration might include a "signoff" by an instructor or other competent person with respect to those advanced skills. It is a pilot's choice to not enter a maneuver which exceeds that pilot's skills, experience or recency. Those might be defined in regulation (I have admitted that I do not know for the UK).

I invite you to take the opportunity to take my mind there, in respect of the event we've been discussing - but I will ask for some reference information to help me get there.... Fair enough?