PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Head of CASA AVMED Resigned Too Soon...
Old 15th May 2015, 04:38
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
received from SAAA today

Message to SAAA members from CASA AVMED

Dear SAAA members

The following is an extract from a letter from Dr Michael Drane, Acting Principle Medical Officer, Aviation Medicine at CASA. It is a follow up to the meeting he had with Neil Unger, discussing the many problems our members have reported to SAAA regarding their pilot medicals.

“ …. Our assessors are a kind and hard-working group who will be able to deal with many of the questions – and do every day. Where there are doctor matters, they will be able to refer to a doctor. It is a fact of life and funding that are not always doctors available to talk on the phone and I regret that I am not in a position to change that. However, where we can we will do our best to call applicants when there is a complicated matter that needs sorting out. Often in fact our nurse is the person who co-ordinates such complex cases, and there is not much she does not know!

So may I request that you advise your members of the following:

“If you have queries about your application for a Class 1,2 or 3 medical certificate, please call the AvMed hotline: 1300 4 AVMED [1300 428 633]. Alternatively, you may email: [email protected].

Background information about the importance of some medical conditions can be found on the CASA website at:
http://casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WC...::pc=PC_101484

These guidelines also explain the reasons why some conditions are of particular concern in aviation.”

I will continue to take a close interest in the removal of barriers, perceived or real, hindering pilots and controllers understanding more about the medical aspects of aviation safety – we will be in touch shortly with some material for your consideration.

I appreciate your efforts in moving things forward.

With kind regards,

Dr Michael Drane
A/g Principal Medical Officer
Aviation Medicine

MBBS MAvMed FACAsM DipOccMed
PGCAeroRet MRCGP FRACGP DRCOG
Principal Medical Officer”