PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth Crash
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2015, 19:11
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Jetblu
Big Pistons Forever

So on that note, you agree that the next low time inexperienced pilot that wanders out and accidentally flies into IMC and wipes out his/her passengers should be criminally prosecuted? Get real.

You raise a very good point. As a general rule I would suggest that involving the legal system in the determination of the cause of an accident is not a good path to follow. The pitfalls of this approach are all too evident in what has happened in various French and Asian accident reports.

If the only question is "was it appropriate to pursue a criminal proceeding against the accident pilot" then I admit you have forced me to closely examine my motivations.

At what level does such reckless disregard for generally accepted standards or airmanship and aeronautical decision making rise to the criminal ? On further reflection I am now leaning towards the opinion that while the acts of this pilot where egregious and deliberate violations of good piloting practices they are close to but not above the bar meriting criminal prosecution.

However I remain adamant that this accident was directly caused by the numerous poor decisions made by the pilot that fateful day.

The only good that can come from this accident is if someone else out there that is perhaps contemplating having some fun with a bit of low level whoop de do's to impress the admiring passenger, remembers what could happen and thinks better of it.......