PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth Crash
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2015, 18:10
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Jetblu
Big Pistons Forever - we'll have to agree to disagree as we're just going around in circles. Please tell me where any pilot gets the training skills for a jammed control surface.
I explicitly deal with this exact event in my introductory aerobatics course. I discuss options available which are mostly contingent on which control surface is jammed the extent of the jam and the attitude of the aircraft when the jam occurs. Admittedly most scenarios where a jam occurs during an aerobatic maneuver are addressed by bailing out. Of course this requires parachutes, bail out training and sufficient altitude to effect a successful parachute decent, all of which I make a prerequisite for the commencement of aerobatic maneuvering.

I also emphasize the dangers of low altitude maneuvers and insist that all maneuvers be planned so that the aircraft will never be lower than 3000 feet AGL.

I truly believe that none of my students would ever place themselves in the position that the accident pilot did because they have the training, experience and knowledge to appropriately manage the risks of aerobatic flying, something the accident pilot in my professional opinion as a Transport Canada licensed aerobatic instructor; did not .