PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth Crash
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2015, 17:58
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
OK

Assuming a fully deflected jammed rudder, something that was as far as I can see, never conclusively proven; requires the aircraft to be in a maneuver that needs full rudder to be applied. I see no way this does not therefore imply aggressive maneuvering which given the pilots skill level and low altitude represents poor judgement.

A stuck rudder is obviously a significant in flight malfunction but occurring at altitude and during maneuvers that are "appropriate to the pilots training and skill level" should not automatically lead to an accident.

It would automatically lead to an accident if it occurred during aggressive low level maneuvering. Or more simply a situation where the accident pilot deliberately put the aircraft into a position where in the event anything went wrong, he did not have the skill or training to recover. Again my point is nor so much the actual accident sequence, but the bad choices the pilot made prior to the accident and the lessons that can be learned from those choices.