PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stand-by for Maastricht?
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2015, 15:27
BeT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright as a MUAC ATCO ill write just one more post, hopefully to put this to bed. Ill try and be clear:

1. It was NOT written by a paper shuffler.

2. What was written was heavily restricted by ICAO stipulations.

3. What was written is not what the NOTAM writer, or we as ATCOs really want.

4. It is, effectively (in my opinion) a waste of time.

5. The issue of pilots 'bursting in' to busy frequencies is a real one, and one that we would like to tackle, as it can cause substantial problems. Despite the poor wording, if the NOTAM and the subsequent discussion it has created causes airspace users to think, take a step back and pay more attention to the frequency then (I suppose) its worth it.

6. Given free choice the NOTAM would have been a 'monitor Maastricht' campaign.

7. ATCOs are not using it, as (without prejudice) pilots tend to ignore, not understand or request clarification on the instruction when its used, which defeats the purpose.

8. UNOFFICIALLY if you are instructed to do this, do NOT call in on the next MUAC frequency, but monitor and wait until called.

I hope that explains it well enough.

DISCLAIMER, the above post represents my personal views, and not that of my employer, yada yada etc etc.

Please note: Ill not be back to this thread to do any more debating / explaining / arguing. The above represents the situation, take it or leave it

Last edited by BeT; 12th May 2015 at 17:07.