PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why at 1500FT (or close to it)
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2015, 22:10
kcockayne

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was an ATCO for 32 years, at an aerodrome, & I don't think I ever had a problem such as this. So, it can't be a very great problem , or, at the least, an insurmountable one.
ATCOS are not just "going through the motions " & unthinkingly addressing transmissions to pilots without thinking & appreciating the pilot's problems etc. In my experience ATC is always well aware of possible ramifications from its actions & instructions; & is always trying to lessen any negative impact of them on the flight deck.
Certainly, whenever I gave a frequency change I tried to do it at, what I thought, was the most advantageous time to do it (pilot's interest, my requirements, Radar Controller's requirements, Tower Controller's interests, safety requirements etc.). On occasion this required giving a frequency change instruction before the take off clearance , at other times a frequency change immediately after take off or, keeping the aircraft on frequency well after the usual transfer point (following co-ordination with the Radar Controller).
I guess that given two , sometimes conflicting sets of interests, there cannot always be a foolproof transfer point.
It saddens me to detect a possible confrontational aspect in certain posts about this. ATC & pilots are partners in the business of aviation safety & we should be striving to assist each other in achieving this objective.
I would ask any pilot to bear the Controller's interests & problems & professionalism in mind when he reacts to what he thinks is an in opportune timing of a frequency change; & not to automatically get hot under the collar about it. If a problem was caused by an ATCO's R/T, the best thing to do about it would be to discuss it afterwards either in person or by letter or email. Although I appreciate that there may well be a considerable time delay to this.
Anyway, co-operation & not confrontation is the way to proceed.