PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS 5
Thread: LEEDS 5
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2015, 07:17
LEEDS APPROACH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HOODED
Leeds Approach. Please if you are going to start banging your drum again, would you be kind enough to do it on the Church Fenton thread you created. Leave the Leeds thread for discussing happenings at LBA. You have made your veiws clear on this thread already. Those that wish to debate Leeds East becoming the new Yorkshire international can have their discussions on your new thread. I may even read it from time to time. I hope your dreams for CF come true but for now we have an airport in Leeds that seems to operate ok despite all its insurmountable problems.
My original post was about LBA and the fact there was more holding and diverting going on yesterday. BA and Ryanair diverted. BE, TOM, LS, T3, MON all had to hold for reduction in the gale force crosswinds. This of course was after the thick low cloud. Then spotters come on here asking why more routes aren't being started? It's because airlines don't like flying round in circles burning money. Airlines don't like to show themselves up and annoy customers by having to return to the airport where they set off from. Certain airlines are not willing to risk landing their latest modern wide bodies on short restricted runways that don't point into the wind. Airlines don't like waiting on the taxiways for other planes to have to push back in front of them. I would take exception to your 'seems to operate ok' statement. Then other enthusiasts ask why other airports manage to get road links built - perhaps it's because those airports have realistic prospects into the future? By the way the wind was blowing at 240 degrees yesterday as it often does.

Ok you want to talk about LBA? The airport has gained a new route to Kefalonia and lost established routes to Toulouse, La Rochelle and Sardinia. It has also lost routes to the Capital cities of Copenhagen, Berlin, Edinburgh and Islamabad in recent seasons. Summer 2015 shows a reduction in the number of rotations compared to 2014 by based operator Jet2. Let's see what 2016 brings. There were 3x as many rotations to Paris CDG in the early 1980s compared to what the airport has now. In the 1990s onward we had a multiple Brussels service and yet 25 years later it's gone! Another Capital city connection lost because the airport is not accessible by train or from the motorway. I could go on and on. I don't beat the drum it has been beating itself for 40+ years. Yorkshire needs a less restricted more suitable airport.