PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada A320 accident at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2015, 04:26
scud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.Scud: for a non-precision approach (i.e. minimums as low as 250 ft) there is no requirement of sophisticated lighting, hold short lines, etc. For 99% of the runways out there particularly at airports with an existing CAT II or CAT III ILS, LPV can provide approach limits to 250 ft with the only improved airport infracture is insuring the Glideslope Qualification Surface (GQS) - the region between DA and the runway is free of obstacles above a protected surface (I won't burden you with the calculation of this surface but it is roughly a 2 degree slope for a 3 degree Flight Path Angle (FPA). In Halifax's case, all four runway ends have LPV approaches with limits between 250 and 259 ft (DA value rounded up to the next highest 10 ft - TDZE). Neither Runway 05 or 32 have fancy lighting. The problem in this case is that the AC A320's don't have GPS and even if they did, they and virtually every other transport category aircraft (Airbus, Boeing, etc) don't have WAAS making these procedures unable.
L39 guy, you're misconstruing my point.

The only cost-effective alternative for Air Canada's A320 fleet for runway 05 in Halifax, that would have prevented this accident would have been the installation of an electronic Glide Slope. That's because Air Canada's A320 fleet does not have GPS (I know because I've got over 4000 hours on them), and therefore unable to do LPV approaches that would have given them a precision type of approach (with a reliable glide path). The cost of installation of a Glide Slope, plus the addition of enhanced approach and runway CAT I lighting is still far more cost-effective than the installation of GPS/WAAS/LAAS on a fleet of over 40 aircraft, not to mention the other types that don't have GPS (none of the 767's... and yes, I've got over 4000 hours on those too).

The point being is that, you can have all manner of LPV/GLS equipped airplanes, but it's not cost effective at all if you can't reduce the DH below 250 feet because you don't have at least CAT I approach and runway lighting. That was my point.