PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a Test Pilot
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2015, 16:05
Tester78

I think that I can add some clarity!

Reinhardt is French (although with some experience of the UK, n'est pas?), and it's true that there have been differences of national approach across the world. It used to be the case in France that all fixed wing military pilots selected for training as experimental test pilots were from a fighter background, but that's no longer the case. Meanwhile, the UK (for example) has trained fixed wing pilots from both fighter and heavy aircraft backgrounds since the earliest days of ETPS. But that's of only passing interest to the OP and others reading this thread with an interest in the civilian route.

There may also be confusion between the terms 'test pilot' and 'experimental test pilot'. I don't mean to reopen the question dealt with above: the definition of a test pilot. I've had my say on that. But let's clear up the regulatory/qualification issue. In France, the CER of the DGA approves individuals to conduct flight testing, both military and civilian. Approvals are granted on the basis of qualifications and experience (but not education), and must be renewed 6-monthly. Approvals can be as 'test pilot' or 'experimental test pilot', and these categories are reflected in the ops manuals of the companies conducting flight test. Test Pilots can captain flights that do not involve envelope expansion, and can fly as P2 on flights that do. Experimental Test Pilots can captain the full range of tests.

To be clear, there are plenty of pilots working their way up the flight test ladder in France as well as other countries. Those starting via the military do indeed need a good educational standard to be selected. But many others are following different routes. So yes, in France there are ex-FTEs that have gained approval from their national authorities as test pilots. In the same way, there are test pilots who have become experimental test pilots. It's called professional development, and requires appropriate training at every stage. There will always be people masquerading as things they are not, in all professions, but that doesn't change the fact that many others work hard to rightfully progress in their chosen careers.

Reinhardt's description of the French test flying environment is a bit out of date and overly simplistic. I share his pride in the aeronautical history of France. But I'm equally proud of that of the UK, and I don't see a significant difference in the efficiency or safety of test flying on each side of the English Channel over the decades. There have been differences of approach, but none clearly superior. Nonetheless, it's certainly true that someone starting a clean-sheet civilian career with the long-term aim of becoming an experimental test pilot, via, say, a design office and FTE development path, would be well-advised to start with a relevant engineering degree to minimise the requirement for luck. Rest assured that astrology and quotas play no part, though. In my experience, flight test is still a meritocracy and I don't see that changing.

Last edited by Tester78; 28th Apr 2015 at 18:25.