PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CI400
Thread: CI400
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2015, 17:37
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If ever it's come across that I've bragged about investments then shame on me. Please tell me where and I'll remove it. That was never the intention and one that would hardly be appropriate anyway. I'm not a financial guru and have never claimed to be, merely following the basics of regular saving and living within your means. As for friends, no doubt the same number as everyone else although seeing less and less of them over the last few years. Which brings us nicely back on track.

I'm not agreeing that the T&C's we endure are by any means seen as ideal and I don't think I've ever said that. I will, however, admit to being content with my current lifestyle but this is in no way a direct reflection of the worsening conditions we've all experienced of late. My point is that Dubai is where we have to live and work. Those that try to make a real go of it with happy wife, kids at good schools, good villa location etc. have adapted far quicker and easier than those that don't. Some never do. Achieving this 15 years ago was easy, now less so and very much down to luck. For those that try to commute it's a nightmare and merely feeds the anger and resentment that so many hold. Add to this a reduction of leave to 30 days, forced leave, full flights and only 1 ALT, lack of credit for ground duties during a full months work and restricted days off and it's easy to see why the frustration builds. The list goes on. If you don't view Dubai as 'home' while you're employed here, forget it.

Unfortunately, whether we like to admit it or not, the overall package we have is still a pretty good one and while people still apply, the conditions will not improve. Only the recruitment team and senior managers will know how many and from what backgrounds are applying. That will be the giveaway for this years pay review. Having said that, how many of us would forgo this years pay rise for a return to a regular and guaranteed 80 hour month? Most, if not all i'd imagine.

We are all fighting to achieve the same goal. Work hard but get acceptable rosters to do so with sufficient rest. Receive a remuneration that's the going rate for professional pilots working for the 'Number 1 brand airline'. Finally, and perhaps most important of all, expect to be treated by management as they themselves would like to be treated, fairly and with respect.

I don't think that's too much to ask, do you?

Harry