PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2015, 21:24
Cliff Secord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting reading about the viability of commuting BA short haul. I'm a bit too old for BA and frankly not interested anyway. I doubt I would fit their profile, they probably wouldnt want me and thats fine as it doesn't (hard to belive I know) appeal to me anyway in absolute truth.

Anyway, it's interesting reading, especially off the back of the nightstop thread.

I commute currently on long haul. It's too easy to gloss over commuting and how it'll work with say 2 days off. It's tempting to think it'll work out but the reality is if you live over a few hours drive away any longer is a simple plain nightmare and down right impossible/pointless if you have to fly up to Scotland or Ireland. Reading of short haul guys on BA it seems it's mostly 2 days off. If you're in Scotland/Eire. How you going to do that? Honestly it'll be 1 local night at home. Maybe 5 nights a month. I do a block of 10-14 days at home in a go which is nice but downside is you're away for a stretch but prefer that to dabbing my toes into home for 24 hours before being away all week again. Just food for thought. As a commuter myself, if you've home/family more than a few hours drive away think carefully about your lifestyle. My rambling point being don't gloss over the commuting details like I did years back. It's actually the most important point unless you plan to up sticks and move.