PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracking lost aircraft
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2015, 12:48
Hasherucf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
. Satellite enable an ADSB unit that *everyone* has to buy anyway. I guess the sticking point is the subscription and or satellite packets.

ADSB broadcasts via the Transponder Antenna on a extended squitter. It only grabs the GPS information for use in its broadcast. In short terms it cant talk to the Satellites and it is mounted to the bottom of the aircraft (no Sky).

Air Services could log any ADSB broadcasts just as Flightaware. This would be more helpful than some of the ELT's. If a aircraft goes into the water it is useless as water attenuates the signal. In fact most serious GA accident wrecks I have seen have had damaged ELT antennas.

tecman : simple things like lengths of antenna cable and position of strain loops
. I have found that people use the cable supplied with the unit. It does make a sloppy install, also the coax seems solid core and can return a high VSWR after some time in service. This sometimes doesn't show up on the Artex 'flash' self test. The BITE test of the 406 Artex that is in most GA installs isn't to be trusted. Most people install and forget and just rely on the self test.

Aussie Bob : Fit your spider thingy, whatever, just don't think about forcing it onto others.
Exactly my thoughts in my first post of this thread of how this would be received.

I believe a Tracker OR ELT would be a great idea. But agreeing on specs would be the nightmare