PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Expands International Routes
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2015, 02:16
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SQ "lay down beds" are not all that flash, having tried to stop myself sliding to the floor for many hours on a sin - BNE flight.

The service is great, the food good, but the Seats are nothing special.
Compared to what?

Qantas Skybeds? SQ is much more comfortable and doesn't have lumps digging into every part of your body.

Qantas domestic seat? SQ is vastly superior to the sit-up-and-beg QF seat....and lies flat.

Qantas 'new' lie flat seat (as per A380)? Qantas just about wins over SQ but I don't see too many of ANY of those options on a QF 737.

The QF product is an embarrassment, especially when it laughingly suggests a 737 is an appropriate vehicle to compete with the likes of SQ's 777. Why on earth would I buy a QF business class ticket and sit upright in a noisy, single-aisle machine with the lacklustre QF service when I can fly SQ in a proper aircraft for the job, with decent seats and a world-beating cabin service?

I used to use the QF flights all the time when it was a twice-daily A330 with Skybeds. The service linked nicely with the European flights and it was rare to see too many empty seats (though I appreciate this does not imply a good yield). With Qantas shunning WA it was a no-brainer switching to SQ and QF lost another Platinum One passenger. I'm sure Joyce and Co won't be losing any sleep over my departure but on my last SQ flight the bloke sitting next to me was in exactly the same situation........and equally annoyed that he couldn't use his QF miles for anything that he actually wanted (not relevant I know, but with over 1.8 million miles between us and unable to use them for something WE wanted it was another indication of why QF is losing customers).

The 'new' service to SIN will probably work as far as profitability is concerned and that's obviously what's important to QF. As far as encouraging travellers on the route to QF from SQ they don't have a hope in hell.