PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is this landing good/bad?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2015, 08:18
Helinaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are many components we don't know that affect this approach and it is so easy to make a judgment looking at a little video.

For me, it looks like that the pilot made a downwind approach and turned in to the wind at the landing site. Would make sense, cause he wants to depart in to the wind.

The landing site is probably used thousands of times a season and this may have been approach #120 that day. If you are in "production" flying, every second counts. Don't belief it?
Lets say, as someone mentions, there are 120 landings a day and the difference between a "good" pilot and a "not so good" pilot (supposedly there is such a thing) is 10 seconds of flight time a turn around. That would make it, 120 times 10 seconds =20 minutes of flight time a day. I am not sure what the cost of a 212/minute is, but lets make it $50 to the customer, that would come out as $1000 a day. That is a lot of cash! If the pilot is not able to make up that time, he will be gone fairly quick.

Yes, I have been there done that. Production is a hard job and I would consider Heli-Skiing as hard production flying. I admit it, I was there flying 145 rotations within a 7 hour day of flight time, looking and checking the other aircraft going up and down the mountain, all day every day and trying to find a few more seconds to get ahead of the competition. I made it, as supposedly I was one of the "good" ones. However, I was more than happy when I finally had a chance to leave that environment over twenty years ago.

If you have not been there, please don't judge anyone doing his/her job. The competition is hard. Yes, there is stupid stuff out there but this approach is definitely not one to criticize. And yes, I do know the difference of a good pilot in the eyes of the employer and his peers...big difference as we know