PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who wants to fly at SAA?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2003, 12:07
flyboy6876

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Affirmative action was not supposed to exclude anyone, but was meant to ensure that ALL people were given an equal opportunity at a position. However, what has actually occurred is not affirmative action - people are being excluded because of the colour of their skin, not because they do not have the qualifications. This is racism, and this time around its aimed at the whites.

Affirmative action has cost South Africa dearly in the last 8 or so years. There are a number of people I know who took redundancy - foor fairly good sums - so that non-whites could step into the positions. In many cases, these same redundant people have been hired back as contractors for ridiculous sums of money to do the job.

I cannot accept that an organisation will allow less qualified or able people to take responsible positions simply because they are black. This has happened in SA sport and in many businesses and the consequences are well known. This is the 21st Century and people should be aware of what they are doing and there should be no employement on the basis of skin colour etc.

And please don't tell me that the blacks have not had the opportunity of education etc. SA has now been run by the ANC for 9 years, which should mean that anyone of the age to look for a cadetship with SAA has had at least 9 years of education. Or is it simply that the education system is not working.

SAA is the same as any other company - they are following blatently racist requirements set by the government which is excluding people with the relevant qualifications from getting employment.

Sorry folks - I feel very strongly about affirmative action as it is so damaging - rant off now