PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 15th Apr 2015, 21:18
Bluenose 50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost Recovery

Jim
I’m not trying to compare the previous (aborted) contract with current one. Personally I didn’t and don’t see either as a PFI.I’m quite comfortable with Bristow operating the service on behalf of DfT and MCA and am confident they will do a very professional job and provide value for money for beleaguered taxpayers.
Previous SAR helicopter contracts to HMCG involved a fixed amount for the period of the contract with additional payments paid by HMCG to the contractor per mission to cover fuel, operating costs etc.Does the UK SAR (2015 onward) contract have the same arrangement?Get me an answer to this and I may expand further.
I’ll get back to you on scenarios 2 and 3 but as regards scenario 1 that is already covered and has been for many years i.e. the responsibility for premature infants lies with the NHS.Other categories are covered such as hospital to hospital transfers including ECMO. Requests for SAR helicopter assistance in this area is subject to certain criteria – one of which is whether the requesting authority – ambulance control and exceptionally a hospital - is prepared to cover costs. This currently applies to HMCG contract, RAF and RN SAR helicopters.Costs are recovered from the requesting authority – not mum and dad, household insurance or private health plan.

Last edited by Bluenose 50; 15th Apr 2015 at 21:22. Reason: Corrn - household replaced heath