PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR(R) - Is it worth it?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2015, 10:45
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
If you were correct Funfly, the hedgerows would be littered with the bodies of VFR only PPLs - they clearly aren't. I highly value my IR(R), but I also managed happily without one for years, and for that matter have a lot of microlight hours - and they are just not capable of safe instrument flight. So, I think you're overstating the case somewhat.

Re: recency - I do fly quite a lot - my worst year out of the last 10 was 35 hours, and my best 110. This year I hope I might even beat 110. Since holding the IR(R), I have made a point of doing a reasonable amount of IMC flight when opportunity arises, and an approach whenever it's convenient to do so at the end of a trip. I probably manage an approach every 1-2 months on average: I've done four this year, three planned, one unplanned.

Unplanned IMC flight, or an unplanned approach, are incredibly stressful and hard work. BUT, they are readily survivable, so long as those skills have been kept adequately current. Even a planned approach is likely to be scruffy and sub-optimal without reasonable currency in your instrument flying skills.

G