PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2015, 12:35
binsleepen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I didn't get into BA until my third attempt. First time I failed at day 1, second time I got into the hold pool and then got timed out only for them to reopen recruitment 3 months later. It really sucked, but if you want something enough you have to put it behind you, learn from the experience, and try again and again if necessary. It took me 5 years from first applying until I got in.

It must be very difficult to design tests that give everybody a fair chance but what they have is what you have to pass. If you don't like it you don't need to apply but I would be very surprised if the determination shown, by applying multiple times until one is successful, was not taken into account.

The maths and English comprehension tests are self explanatory, you can practice for it.

The interview, as most of you will know, is competency based i.e. give me an example of when you were a hero/tool, brave/coward etc. get friends and families to think of examples of this type of question and think of answers from both everyday life and the flying job.

The group test is widely discussed and common sense should give you an idea of how best to approach it.

The computer tests have been massively reduced since I first went through but I understand a big clue is to read carefully what you have to do.

The Sim, this is the chance for you to show that you are the sort of guy/girl that someone else would be happy to sit next to for 4 sectors a day or a 10 hour flight to somewhere and then go out for a drink. You clearly have to be reasonably competent at flying the sim and show an increasing learning curve but no-one expects you to be Chuck Yeager (don't take the 747 sim supersonic).

I hope this is of some help to those who have been unsuccessful and are waiting to try again.

edited to add: I have just looked at the job ad for FO and one of the requirements is,
You will be passionate about a career as a pilot with British Airways.
By reapplying after a failure you are clearly demonstrating this.

All the best

Last edited by binsleepen; 13th Apr 2015 at 12:44. Reason: to add the bit at the end