PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who wants to fly at SAA?
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2003, 02:48
linuxgal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a strong possibility of intakes this year, total 20 spread from Aug to Dec. The intakes will be from the industry in general, with perhaps 2 or 3 EE pilots.

There is a lot of discussion on this forum about affirmative action in SAA and aviation. I don't want to pee on anyone's battery but if you received free flying training through the SAAF in years gone by, when anyone who was not a not pale male could get knotted, then remember things have worked both ways. Also I can assure you that from the mixture of copilots I have had, that it is not dependent on your background as to your attitude and ability.

Affirmative action is a reality which won't go away and there is tremendous pressure on all business in SA at the moment. Some people in SAA are at least trying to make the transition managed as best it can be, and try and make sure that the standards are maintained. However, Flight Ops does not have the weight to refuse orders from Cabinet.

It's a big pendulum which has swung the other way for now, but will settle eventually. I feel great compassion for those who are waiting to get into SAA. As saywhat says, it's not perfect but still the finest place to work and worth the wait. Hang in there, think positive, and make the most of where you are at the moment.
Good luck.