PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - THY 20% increase 777/330 for 70h per month
Old 11th Apr 2015, 16:12
foswillruletheworld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
porkflyer;
You are right that there is a strong chain of command because of the ex military guys. For example a guy who left military with a low rank and yunger, another guy like 5 years later with an older age and higher rank.
The first guy has become a captain and the second guy sits on the right seat. They are struggling who is on the top of the chain. They still feel like they are in the military and act accordingly which i think is very very bad.
Annual leave is the right you get after you first year so you can think it as 20 days for the first 2 years, than yearly 20 days.
English level in general is bad. I mean bad for the captains of ex military. However captain number of civilian background is increasing. Those guys are mostly from the origin of aviation academy of university or engineering. So their english is pretty good. moreover you won't have a problem of CRM with any of them.
However! You never fly 110 hours a month in THY. I mean that is impossible in many ways. First of all the regulations of THY is according to EASA so the crew rest regulations are too. Besides company really really wouldn't let you fly that much because they are supposed to pay you the double of your basic pay. So THY prefers to hire another pilot instead of making one guy fly the whole flights.
I have a lot of friends at almost all fleets of THY so here is the deal:

B737: 70-75 hours monthly. High season: 85 hours. Sometimes you get the ground transport for SAW airport which is far away and the traffic is crazy so you spend like 2-3 hours to get there from home. Mostly Africa flights, 5-6 days layover here and there, but never in Europe. a lot of domestic destinations. 10-12 days off a month.

A319-320-321: 65 months monthly. High season 80 hours. Very very relaxed roster. One of my friends came to his hometown for 7 days in a row. Mostly Europe and domestic, sometimes ME, rarely Africa flights. 10-16 days off a month.

A330: 65-70 hours monthly. High season 75 hours. Very relaxed roster as well. Rarely Europe and Africa, mostly domestic(not more than 2 legs: ADB, AYT, ESB flights not exceeding 1 hour a leg) and far east flights. 12-18 days off.

A340: I have no friends on this type so no detailed information. THY is getting rid of 340's in time so i don't think information won't be available in a couple of years.

B777: 60-65 hours. High season same. A lot of South and North America flights, sometimes far East and Japan. 2-3 times domestic same route as A330. very rarely Africa flights. Sometimes you have 2 flights a month.
1 at the beginning of the month to the U.S.A and 1 at the end to far east like China. 10 consecutive days off in the middle.
At least 12 days off. Sometimes 20
So as you can see you never fly 110 hours a month in THY. If you would be able to fly those hours(would definetely be covering your weekends) you would get paid like 26-27000TL at least as a first officer and that is like 9,700 euros a month. after tax which is impossible.

You can combine 4 days off at the end of the month and 4 days off at the beginning of the next in any fleet. So you will have 8 days off in a row. You get paid extra for weekend flights(i think only for sundays), national holidays, religious holidays. If you come home after 12 at night, the next day is given you as a rest day(not off). You have 8 days off minimum every month.

Don't go to B737 in THY. Any other fleet is really relaxed rosterwise. A lot of off days and crew planning respect your off days as far as i know. You mostly get your off days bidding.

I hope this information helps.

Last edited by foswillruletheworld; 11th Apr 2015 at 16:21. Reason: Additional information