PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are the good old days ?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2003, 22:23
FLEXPWR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I A Dreamer?

Hi All,

I have been in the aviation industry for a few years now, got a few hours, an ATP, and a left seat on a regional airplane. I have always been interested in knowing to the best I can my airplane, the aircraft systems, the performance, etc., so I try to get the best of my flying time, and, yes, looking for that little satisfaction, maybe, when at the end of the day I can say : "I did my best, and I will keep trying"

Now here is the thing: I do not find a lot of enthousiasts in the airline business, more of pilots who feel it's just "another job".

In the company I am now, I came up with suggestions to save 25,000 USD per year per airplane, without any additional investment. The representative of the pilots (a pilot himself) just replies:"I don'tcare about that kind of paper, I just put the throttles forward, and then look out the window for the landscape).

I don't know if you get the picture, but WHERE IS THE PASSION? Where is the enthousiasm, the drive of making a better, safer, day in flying?

I started aviation in flying gliders, like some of you. There was a real sense of willingness, and we were not even paid for it.

Maybe some will think "get a life", hey, I have a life, live in a beautiful place, enjoy my time off with people I love.

But I chose aviation because it is some kindamagic thing, and I wonder if there is any airline or pilots who realises what a difference it makes to have individuals that are motivated beyond the money, or the prestige, or the power.

English is not my primary language, so hope there is no mis-statements, but I am sure most will get the general idea.

Any replies welcome