PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 7th Apr 2015, 20:58
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
Sevarg - no-one was allowed to compare costs - the actual cost of running a RAF SAR flt wasn't established as it was inconvenient to the process of civilianisation.

Remember, MilSAR wasn't canned because it cost too much, it was canned because generations of leaders failed to invest in a Sea King replacement. Once Afghanistan kicked off, anything that wasn't core to that theatre was never going to get funding.

Was the Sea King expensive to maintain? Yes, partly because of its age and partly because of the number of hours we flew. If you cut the flying rate in half (especially the training) of course it looks cheaper.

I must have imagined you telling us all that Bristow were providing an inferior service by cutting costs.
yes you did, I highlighted that cutting training hours means a reduction in capability but one that would be difficult to quantify if you have no idea about front-line SAR training.

Yes - lots. Sadly Crab it is information for those actively involved in UK SAR only
Ah, just the sort of openness we have come to expect from HMCG when there is stuff they are uncomfortable about. What I think you mean is there is a problem but I shouldn't ask awkward questions about it.

I am sure there would be trumpet fanfare and press releases if the full (as good as the mil) NVD capability was already in place.