PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I dreaming or have I seen all this before ?
Old 12th Jun 2003, 19:02
Disco Stu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I dreaming or have I seen all this before ?

I well remember a similar scenario involving a TN B737 in May '89

&

I seem to also remember an even earlier incident (possibly a D9S) maybe 20-25 years ago, so how come it happens again ????

http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia/qld/metqld-12jun2003-18.htm

Posted: Thur, 12 Jun 2003 15:17 AEST

Safety body investigates highway landing strip incident
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is investigating an incident in north Queensland in which a Qantas Link passenger jet came within 200 metres of landing on the Bruce Highway, just north of Mackay.

Authorities say the pilot managed to take evasive action after air traffic controllers alerted him to the potentially fatal approach late last month.

The 717 service from Brisbane eventually made a safe landing at Mackay Airport about 8:30pm.

The bureau's deputy director of air safety investigation, Alan Stray, says an inquiry into the incident is underway .

"The aircraft was observed by the air traffic controllers to be diverging to the right of the runway approach, and when it was at an altitute of about 600 feet the controller instructed the pilot of the plane to climb," he said.

"The aircraft went around and then completed an uneventful landing."

"The controllers took very responsible, timely action, but our investigation will be looking at the broader issues."
I thought we were supposed to learn from "history", especially in this aviation game.

Disco Stu

Last edited by Disco Stu; 13th Jun 2003 at 17:41.