PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging of flight simulator time in Grand Total Hours. l
Old 6th Apr 2015, 11:45
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Logging of flight simulator time in Grand Total Hours. l

Logging of full flight simulator time. Australian log books pages are known as Flight Record. Of the several columns available, one is headed Instrument. Under the Instrument heading are sub-divisions Simulator, Approaches and Flight.

My understanding of logging of full flight simulator time is that regardless of the nature of that simulator training (dual as in type rating training or recurrent or IPC) it is logged under the column marked Simulator and not included in the Grand Total flying hours. .

Occasionally one sees log books where the pilot also logs that simulator time as either dual, command or copilot as if the flying was in the real aircraft. These are then included in the flight record as true flight time and added to the total aeronautical experience or grand total.

While I see no problem in annotating the simulator time under the Dual/Command/Copilot columns as well as in the Simulator column, I firmly believe these times should not be included in the Total Aeronautical Experience or Grand Total flying hours.

I have searched Part 61 to see if logging of flight simulator or even FTD time is any different to pre-Part 61 implementation and found no mention of a new interpretation.

The reality is simulator flying is not flight time and IMHO should not be logged as such in the total columns at the bottom of each page of a pilots log book. In fact it creates a false impression of the pilot's flying experience.

Overseas regulatory authorities often have different rules or interpretations with regard to logging of simulator or FTD time. As do individual third party providers tasked with type rating training. This adds to the confusion when pilots from these countries present their log books to ATO's or CASA FOI for inspection.

It gets further complicated when CASA FCL staff seem to happily accept overseas claimed flight time without looking too closely at purported flight time logging practices. For example, a log book showing 370 hours total time of which 240 hours are instrument flight time.... Or where a flight under IFR is logged totally as instrument flight time - regardless of weather conditions.

Your comments would be appreciated; preferably with documentary references.

Last edited by Centaurus; 6th Apr 2015 at 11:58.