PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay or Dragonair?
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2015, 08:57
WeeklyWrapUp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been a PPRuNe reader since joining my current job some years ago and even in the lead up to interviews (yes, I was rightly warned), I had only ever been on the sideline. Funny thing is that I haven't been that interested in signing up until now.. Right up until 'coldastone17' made his last statement with clapping hands (please tell me that was a wind up!!)

If not, then here goes..

PPRuNe is full of grumpy old captains and FO's. Many whom I have shared meals and drinks with at outports who are decent fellas (just quite frustrated and like spending time on computers). Anyway, to MC's question.. here is my opinion

For those guys who are happy with their pay and their contract (biz jet guys aside) I challenge you to speak up as I have done here..

'Coldastone17'.. these guys here are fed up (as we all are) with our company treating us like pests. Most of these guys are A or B scalers getting paid LOTS in housing. These are the guys who are now trapped by the seniority system and are chasing the dangling carrot of command on the good fleet, or for those already there, a base in their home country.

THESE PILOTS ARE DEEP IN AND MAY OR MAY NOT BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO LEAVE THE COMPANY!!

NOW, this is where it gets interesting.. Almost everybody around my time of joining (circa 5-6 years), CAN afford to leave. We can't afford to pay the 40% deposit on an HKD$8,000,000 property that is 650ft2. We can't have the luxuries of the western world like a car or a boat or a lounge to breakdance in. There is ZERO chance to get ahead on the current package in Hong Kong.

We can afford to rent some less than desirable place sure, but do you really want to rent until you are 65? With no basings on offer, it looks like you will be in Hong Kong forever. Are you happy bringing up a family in such a place with the HUGE cost associated with schooling etc (not to mention the clearly visible pollution and the general lack of good quality food at respectable prices).

The Hong Kong Pilot Allowance for the first four years will not cover suitable accommodation and it has not been adjusted for general inflation (not to mention property inflation). After 4.5 years (average) it will go up $4k, but again it is not adjusted and you simply can-not make do (unless you are 18, straight out of highschool, zero debt, no girlfriend, no bad habits etc).

Long story short.. my contract and my lifestyle is declining with every update I get from the company. My union works hard and I am very appreciative of that, but there is only so much you can do against a bully (short of getting into serious industrial action).

So I rambled a bit there MC, but you get the idea.. Good luck with your decisions!