PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith Party??
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2015, 21:37
glenb

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Dick Smith Party

Hey Guys and Gals,

This is a great forum for open debate. Not trying to force my opinion on anyone, but food for thought.

For those of you around their 50s or older, you will have grown up with Dick Smith. Those stores with his caricature on the front. It was an honest "easy to identify with" brand. He grew. He shared his wealth. Of course he was financially secure. He could direct his money out through his extended family. However he chose to make very very significant donations to organisations that benefitted the most disadvantaged Australians. He is a genuine and passionate human being. I suggest we only know a portion of his contributions he has made. The only publicity he seeks is a greater awareness of the Organisation he is supporting.

He is passionate about this Industry. He was the Head of CASA for a period of time. I hope I have my facts correct here, but my recollection is that he did it for $1 a year. This experience alone, gives him enormous credibility.

He started Dick Smith Electronics from a Garage, if I am correct. He has "Small Business" experience, and he has large Corporation experience as his business grew.

He is a fixed wing and helicopter pilot, and has made some World Record achievements in those aircraft.

He is passionate about Australian Made and has worked tirelessly to promote it. He is passionate about a sustainable population. He is a committed family man with strong Australian principles.

Im not affiliated with him and I have only ever had a conversation with him on a couple of occasions. He is in my opinion a very modest person, and isn't going to go singing his own praises. Research him thoroughly and you will be impressed.

For the first time in Aviation for many many decades, we have an opportunity to get 100% behind someone absolutely committed to Aviation and General Aviation. Someone genuinely passionate about a range of issues that effect every single Ppruner.

He REALLY can do this. We saw it at the last election. I suggest as he gains traction the Media and other interests not aligned with our own, will go trawling through sites such as this looking for ammunition.

An absolutely united, supporting and enthusiastic portrayal of our Industry would be a wonderful thing. I hope we can pull it off. Lets have a red hot crack at it ay?