PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada A320 accident at Halifax
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2015, 06:20
Ultra Glide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you get the DME from IHZ when you're tuned to IGX?

The only way to do that on the A-320 would be to use the abnormal procedure for loss of both MCDUs and select Back Up tuning on the Radio Management Panel.

(The A-320 displays each ILS on the respective PFD and the other ILS on the ND.)

One should not have to revert to an abnormal procedure to do a published approach.

After looking at the approach plate (displayed on a previous post by another person) I think I would be better off doing the NDB approach in those conditions because I wouldn't have to deal with the abnormal radio tuning procedure and I would benefit from a higher MDA in the crappy weather. Too bad if I don't get in.

I always try to put it into perspective. You will hardly ever do any diversions in a normal career and it's always preferable for all concerned to have a few diversions and no crashes than vice-versa.

Two things I will say about flying the A-320 in gusty conditions, you better add a few knots to that Vapp and you better know how to handle that sidestick. You don't get any feedback from it like you do from an airplane that you have to trim yourself.

I was joking with a friend of mine the other day that you can't blame Airbus because a lot of pilots don't seem to know how to fly these days (NOT talking about this crash!) but then I realized what I just said.

(But I still prefer Airbus over Boeing cuz I can cross my legs and eat off a table in cruise.)